Monday, February 19, 2007

Tridentine Mass In Covington


Yesterday my family went to the Tridentine Mass for the first time in Covington, KY. While it was a wonderful experience, overall, it saddened me because of the implications of seeing what I had never experienced. It was like someone had given me a beautifully wrapped gift when I was a child and I found out I could not open it until I was 39 years old. The gift sat there and I moved it along with me in all the places I have lived and traveled and now that I have opened it, instead of being joyful I wonder why I had to wait so long to open it. The joy was in experiencing the gift with my husband, my children and my parents all at the same time. But now I feel like I have to put it back in the box and set it on a shelf for another while. Why? Because it's not practical to get the gift out every week. Our parish is what it is and it's where my children attend school and its our home for now. I wanted to include some of the amazing words(in English) from the Mass that touched me so:


Take away from us our iniquities, we beseech Thee, O Lord; that, being made pure in heart we may be worthy to enter into the Holy of Holies. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Receive, O Holy Father, almighty and eternal God, this spotless host, which I, Thine unworthy servant, offer unto Thee, my living and true God, for my countless sins, trespasses, and omissions; likewise for all here present, and for all faithful Christians, whether living or dead, that it may avail both me and them to salvation, unto life everlasting. Amen


It was difficult to sum up all my feelings and reflect on what it meant. The most amazing thing was that my son who is autistic(the middle child) was so reverent and so content during the entire Mass. He was so involved in watching and taking it all in and it was emotional for me to witness that calm. We had prepared the children by taking them to some traditional parishes and I know that helped. It is my hope that our Catholic faith will be full of traditions and a Catholic identity that sets us apart from the fray. Making those traditions and events in the liturgical year a part of our family and the basis for their childhood is what I believe they are due. It is the job entrusted to me as a parent and I need to be an example. That is the hard part. I have the proverb above my work area that reads:


Trust in the LORD with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not;
In all your ways be mindful of him, and he will make straight your paths.

I need it there always because while it is majestic and wonderful in content, it is the hardest thing I have to do.

2 comments:

Kevin Whiteman said...

Excellent posting. Very thought provoking

hyacinths and biscuits said...

Hi!

I found your blog while doing a Google search for Tridentine masses in Northern Kentucky. I'll be moving there in less than a week, and one of the saddest things to me is leaving my parish in Louisville, because I love the Latin Mass!

To the point: can you tell me which church this is that has the Tridentine Mass in Covington? I would be eternally grateful!