Friday, April 18, 2008

Sacrifice and sorrow


But not in vain have these words of Job sunk into my heart: "Though He should kill me yet will I trust in Him." (Job 13:15) I acknowledge it was long before I reached this degree of abandonment; Our Lord has taken me and placed me there!
St. Therese of Lisieux

God gives me courage in proportion to my sufferings. I feel at this moment I couldn't suffer any more, but I'm not afraid, since if they increase, He will increase my courage at the same time.
St. Therese of Lisieux

Time is but a shadow, a dream; already God sees us in glory and takes joy in our eternal beatitude. How this thought helps my soul! I understand then why He lets us suffer.....
St. Therese of Lisieux


"When we know that the way of love–this exodus, this going out of oneself–is the true way by which man becomes human, then we also understand that suffering is the process through which we mature. Anyone who has inwardly accepted suffering becomes more mature and more understanding of others, becomes more human. Anyone who has consistently avoided suffering does not understand other people; he becomes hard and selfish."
~ Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, God and the World: A Conversation with Peter Seewald (Ignatius Press, 2002)

Suffering is a great favor. Remember that everything soon comes to an end . . . and take courage. Think of how our gain is eternal.
St. Teresa of Avila

I am afraid that if we begin to put our trust in human help, some of our Divine help will fail us.
St. Teresa of Avila

To suppose that God would admit to His close friendship pleasure-loving people who want to be free from all trials is ridiculous.
St. Teresa of Avila


By the anxieties and worries of this life Satan tries to dull man's heart and make a dwelling for himself there.
St. Francis of Assisi

Do not allow yourselves to be overly saddened by the unfortunate accidents of this world. You are not aware of the benefits they bring and by what secret judgment of God they are arranged for the eternal joy of the Elect.
St. John of the Cross

The one thing that would make suffering intolerable would be the thought that it was systematically inflicted upon sinners. On the other hand, the doctrine which makes it most endurable is exactly the opposite doctrine, that suffering may be a strange honour and not a vulgar punishment; that the King may be conferring a decoration when he pins the man on the cross, as much as when he pins the cross on the man.
G. K. Chesterton

No comments: