Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Taking the plunge

I finally caved and called my doctor to get a referral for an endocrinologist. I have tried to treat this through diet and supplements and my symptoms aren't improving. I have found a great author on thyroid and related conditions and I will continue to follow advice from the book until I can get to the doctor. It is frustrating when I want to be able to lose weight and achieve pregnancy again and I prayed and tried this without doctors and it is such a huge battle. I can report that the virgin coconut oil, when taken 2-3 tablespoons per day, is very effective for feeling full and energy. I will continue with that as it is the only thing I feel confident with at this point. I pray that I can figure this thyroid issue out and get help. I'm frustrated after two back-to-back miscarriages and having such commitment to weight loss and seeing no results. Can't do it alone anymore.

7 comments:

Seven times blessed said...

Dear Thorn,
I have had thyroid issues for years, and while it has not contributed (that I know of) to lack of fertility, my temperatures and other signs are out of whack- so I don't know where I am in my cycles. Anyway, my endocrinologist has been less than helpful--only looks at the numbers on blood work to see if I'm in the normal range. If I have symptoms she doesn't look any farhter than the test results. Anyway, my message is beware of which endocrinologist you have. I no longer go to the one I was working with, and am looking into a family practitioner that a fellow thyroid problem, NFP-user goes to with great results-- and she has had many more problems than I had with her thyroid. Talk to our mutual friend if you want me to send you some more info. God bless

a thorn in the pew said...

I will and thank you. I need a doctor that will acknowledge that I have problems and symptoms and give me advice which is not just limited to popping a pill. There are very few NFP aware doctors out there. I was not happy with the reproductive endo. I went to locally. Im still dealing with the "wrongly coded" bills form that experience...

gemoftheocean said...

I wonder if the pro-life organizations in your area, or the groups which teach NFP have a list of doctors which support NFP.

Anonymous said...

i took thyroxine for a couple of years..i'm not taking it now & am heavier but more relaxed..seems like you can't have it all..sigh..

FloridaWife said...

Pew, on the one hand, I'm so sorry that this problem is bigger than you and you have to seek outside help. On the other hand, I'm glad that you are going to seek outside help for this. I am really interested in reading any posts you make on this. I have a friend with a thyroid issue who has NOT been able to get pregnant in many years of trying.

Deanna said...

I am havig thyroid issues too. I think we should start a club! What is the book you are referring to, if you don't mind my asking.
Thanks and good luck!

a thorn in the pew said...

It's called the Thyroid Hormone Breakthrough.