Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Katy bar the door!

Why the Pope is right to purge modern music

The Pope, who last year appointed a new choir director of St Peter's, wants Gregorian chant, polyphony and baroque masterpieces to dominate the repertoire in the basilica and the Sistine chapel. And, by making his preferences clear, he is sending out a message to the whole Catholic Church.



The next generation of choir directors have been charged by the Pope with the task of reintroducing beautiful music into church. If they succeed, then at long last the pews may begin to fill up again.


Me thinks this will be a bumpy ride.

4 comments:

Val said...

I am a complete and total traditionalist with my church music. At my old parish, they started having guitar music exclusively at the 10:30 mass I attended, so I switched masses. Then the guitar crept into the 8:30 mass, so I switched parishes (not just because of the guitar, but that was just another reason I was unhappy with that parish). I didn't understand why - that parish had a wonderful organist who was more than willing to play at every service (I spoke to him about it, and he was just as confused), but for some reason they kept with the guitar and contemporary music. To each his own, I suppose.

gemoftheocean said...

I'm not a fan of the guitar mass myself, and can do well with throwing a lot of swill that was produced into the fire - -but it does one well to remember that at one time, what the pope is proposing was "modern" in its day. Polyphonic sounds was ROUNDLY condemned in many quarters when it was introduced by the traditionalists of that day.... All things were once new.

a thorn in the pew said...

I read that and yes, there will always be invention that seems to be harsh on the ears but it is hard to compare the strum-thum-thum of a geetar to polyphonic strains.

Lily said...

Also, the modern composers are not inspiring. There is just no comparison. I understand that what is now old was once new, but always, always the music was focused on reverence to God. I think currently, the focus is on getting people to sing, clap, and sway rather than to pray.