Saturday, September 15, 2007

Thank you for posting!

For those of you who prayed the TLM, went to celebrations, etc., thank you for blogging! I have visited a few to see what everyone did and where they went and it warms my heart to see the support and interest.
As a side note(unrelated), it was good to see my oldest son interested in watching on EWTN. I pray that my efforts in their religious education benefit them in life. As the mother of two autistic boys, sameness is essential to both their comfort level and survival. After we prayed our first TLM as a family, I saw how relaxed, interested and attentive they became. My middle son informed me over pizza on Sunday that he is used to the TLM now and wants to go all the time. I'm sure some of you would wonder why a boy who doesn't understand much Latin would say such a thing. No surprises, no bathing suits, no crazy folk songs....I think sameness is the crucial issue. Sameness and structure is what they crave. If they want a unique experience, we take them to a new restaurant. I post these things so others will know that we need to give children more credit. They are not dumb and as a parent, I need to enrich their spiritual life and feed them. For my boys, who may never be successful in the eyes of society, I want them to have a firm faith. Filled with sights and sounds and the supernatural. Right now, they get that through our local indult TLM. I hope to build a foundation that will stand up to puberty, societal norms, feel good religions and the stress of everyday life. I don't always succeed and I'm far from perfect. It is just my hope and why I have arrived at the spiritual place called now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a lovely family you have..

Mulier Fortis said...

Sameness, structure... and silence!

No-one expects them to "do" anything: the youngsters can be left with their own thoughts and prayers.

Mrs. L said...

Wow, I am so happy for your family! You are exposing your children to so many of God's graces which I'm sure will get them through the challenges in life. We have been attending the Latin Rite Mass full time for about 6 months now and my 7 yr old son just told me the other day that he liked the Latin Rite Mass better too! It's not about the Latin, it's the reverence and awe that has got to him and it's what gets us all. It's so amazing, beyond words. By the way how is the newest little thorn doing?:) How are you feeling?

Marie said...

I dont know who came up with the idea of 'perfect'. Who among us is is 'perfect'? None!

I admire you greatly and will keep you and your lovely family in my prayers:) I hope you will pray for me:) A very imperfect soul.

Peace to you & your family:)

Marie

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the "funkiest" thing that changes in our parish is the occasional bi-ligual Mass. We have a very large Hispanic community, they have their own Mass, but at times, like today is the parish picnic, they aren't able to celebrate it separately, so we have a bi-ligual Mass. It "scares" some people away, but it's still pretty much the same thing, just one reading is in spanish, the homily is given in both english and spanish and all the songs are the same bi-ligual songs for every bi-ligual Mass.

God Bless!

Tracy said...

You have two autistic children? Wow! My brother and his wife have a daughter with severe autisim... she is just beginning to speak at age five, she just says words and no sentences yet, but we are encouraged. It is a difficult road for them to be on and they are in constant battle with the school for this wonderful little girl to get the very best help.