Tuesday, May 8, 2007

On Truth and Hope


"The declared enemies of God and His Church, heretics and schismatics, must be criticized as much as possible, as long as truth is not denied. It is a work of charity to shout: 'Here is the wolf!' when it enters the flock or anywhere else.
--St. Francis de Sales, Introduction to the Devout Life


"It is impossible to approve in Catholic publications a style inspired by unsound novelty which seems to deride the piety of the faithful and dwells on the introduction of a new order of Christian life, on new directions of the Church, on new aspirations of the modern soul, on a new social vocation of the clergy, on a new Christian civilization, and many other things of the same kind."
--Pope Leo XIII


Pray, hope, and don't worry.
- St. Pio of Pietrelcina


My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following Your Will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please You does in fact please You. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing...
- Thomas Merton


Fight to the death for Truth, and the Lord God will do battle for you.
- Sirach 4:33


Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, not even if your whole world seems upset. If you find that you have wandered away from the shelter of God, lead your heart back to Him quietly and simply.
- St. Francis de Sales


It is impossible for us not to speak about what we have seen and heard.
- St. Peter


The greatest love story of all time is contained in a tiny white host.
- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen


Hope means hoping when things are hopeless, or it is no virtue at all.
And faith means believing the incredible, or it is no virtue at all.
- G.K. Chesterton


We shall steer safely through every storm so long as our heart is right,
our intention fervent, our courage steadfast, and our trust fixed on God.
- St. Francis de Sales

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Great quotes, thanks~
:)

Anita Moore said...

Here's a good one from J.R.R. Tolkien, from The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien:

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament.....There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves upon earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.