Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Now we dance...


Credit: Catholic Cartoon Blog
I'm very scared this will be my parish soon. I just found out today that our extraordinary-Eucharistic-back-up-singer-razzle-dazzle team were not trained, did not have background checks(you know, to make sure they are really Catholics/baptized and all) just kinda flung them up there. We could even have a divorced/remarried/no annulment kinda person up there, who knows? Oh Lord, how much longer? I fear losing my sense of humor.
Update: I found this searching for another topic under Canon Law.

The 1973 instruction "Immensae Caritatis," No. 6, outlines some of the personal qualities demanded of the extraordinary minister:

"The person who has been appointed to be an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion is necessarily to be duly instructed and should distinguish himself by his Christian life, faith and morals. Let him strive to be worthy of this great office; let him cultivate devotion to the Holy Eucharist and show himself as an example to the other faithful by his piety and reverence for this most holy Sacrament of the altar. Let no one be chosen whose selection may cause scandal among the faithful."

It is thus clear that due care must be taken in selecting and forming the extraordinary ministers, presuming of course that they respond to an authentic need, because of the delicate and sacred character of the office that they are called to fulfill.

Before appointing them, the priest should have a sufficient knowledge of their moral stature and their standing in the community.


Oh boy.

10 comments:

Simon-Peter Vickers-Buckley said...

Of course not...

like I keep saying, it's all about the sacrilege.

Fr. Jacob Straub said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
a thorn in the pew said...

Yeah, we are a bit out. It's St. Cecilia. It's amazing what has happened in just one year. We are praying the bishop assigns a new holy priest soon. We are anxiously awaiting the new assignments. Msgr. Cleves is going to Josephinum to head the spiritual direction. We are totally in limbo right now and many parents are waiting to see if they are staying or leaving, both the church and the school. We are one of them. We love the school principal, the only thing keeping us there right now.

Fr. Jacob Straub said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
a thorn in the pew said...

Msgr. Cleves is an expert in liberation theology. I know you will, but be careful ;)

Cathy said...

Yeeouch!
You weren't kidding.
A quick glance at the internet shows Cleves financially supports that bastion of relativism, "Commonweal."

Michelle Therese said...

HA HA HAAAA! *Snort*

Anonymous said...

I'm as traditional as all of you but I don't agree with bashing priests publicly. What kind of message does that send? Don't be offended, but where is the Christian Charity in that?

a thorn in the pew said...

I have no interest in bashing. My interest is truth. As ma beck said, Commonweal is an ultra-liberal publication. I refuse to bury my head in the sand when "Rome is burning". I would prefer that Christ be the center of my parish again. Right now, we are far from it. When a priest uses creative freedoms with doctorine and the liturgy, it is not I being "un-Christian". I follow CHrist and his church, the greater question is, do they? I pray for them daily. I've tried other means and it is of no matter, so I pray. And I will always follow truth.

Simon-Peter Vickers-Buckley said...

I can't believe you are still there. They go down hard these priests don't they?

Bashing priests? ROFL!