Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Wandering music director...

While I was trying to get on with the work of my day, I cannot shake these feelings of sadness mixed with anger over what has taken place at my parish. I found this article written by a music director that is hauntingly similar to the story of the one who just left our parish. If you have interest in liturgical music, read it. We should not be coming to Mass to be entertained. Mass is not "for us" and I don't feel comfortable being in a parish where people feel they deserve entertainment value for their time on Sunday. I really wanted to go in a positive direction during Lent. In other words, focus on what I love about my faith, how important it is to me and how I cannot exist without it. This crazy "thing" at our parish changing in the past year has put me and my children into a tailspin. Children know things, pick up on things and emulate parents. In saying that, they(especially my oldest son) are becoming targets of ridicule for their beliefs in of all places, a Catholic school. Too Catholic for a Catholic school. So today, I am trying to find hope, cope with the present situation and try to re-teach my children all the bunk they are learning that is not true. It's becoming a ritual on the way home from school. I pick them up, they share stuff from religion class or Mass and I have to explain what is wrong and tell them the truth. How long can I keep this up? How long before they sense my anger and frustration? I feel very alone because none of the other parents care if their children are being taught false doctrine. So I keep my "over-zealous conservatism" to myself. I'm being patronizing of course but its lonely in the desert.

3 comments:

FloridaWife said...

Maybe I don't know any better.

I've always liked "Here I Am, Lord," and "Be Not Afraid."

a thorn in the pew said...

I grew up with that music and now that I am an adult, I know that music along with a watered down version of the Catholic faith drove me away from the Church for many years. It is only by the grace of God that I came back. In the last 15 years I have discovered all the beautiful aspects of Catholicism that I was never taught and never experienced and I want to give that to my children as a more solid foundation than what I had. I guess you could say I had a faith that was "built on straw" and the Glory and Praise songs continue to remind me of that experience. It is a personal thing for me.

Simon-Peter Vickers-Buckley said...

Haugen and Haas front and center at the 2007 LA heresy fest. Do you still like them now?

I noticed you had read Memoirs of an Anti-Apostle. Thought you might like this (Bella Dodd) right here:

http://ca.geocities.com/yarmulka.geo/dodd/dodd_01.html

or this URL here:
http://tinyurl.com/39q235


click next at bottom right of each page to go on.